Thursday, November 06, 2008

Boy oh boy

Well I went to a support group meeting and thought maybe I was a bit to opinionated or to "talky." People have to know that it was finally wonderful to be in a group where others understood and no one was there to judge. I hope that I didn't come off to strong or like a know it all, because Lord only knows that I am not!!!! I just have so many experiences and ideas from both sides of the fence. (being a survivor of domestic violence and a former officer)

I am very excited to learn about everyone and to be involved in changing laws and putting out ideas and meeting with people. I really must put my self out there because I know I can be a great assest and vocalist for this issue and cause. I have ideas that some laws still need to be altered and more strict!!! Starting with an offenders former convictions to begin with!!! If they are a 3x loser as a convicted felon then the 4th in Michigan puts them away for l ife. Not always the case and my offender was out in 3 year when he should of never got out of jail. That is something I want to see changed.

Another law that I want to see changed is the second offense of domestic violence. It says they can recieve UP to a year in jail. I believe it should be mandatory to be sentenced to a year in jail. I believe that would greatly help the victim gather her thoughts and berrings to move on. It would help her get her children to a safe environment and a years worth of counseling would do wonders for those who are serious about getting out of the cycle of domestic violence. That offender who is locked up for a year would have less control if none at all over the victim. I would like to see more safe houses and even half way houses for victims and their children that are dedicated to domestic violence. Half way houses can be utilized for victims/survivors that their offenders are in jail and they need to make a move and educate themselves while the offender is locked up. In the end the women, hopefully, is a stronger person inside and out who will not fall for the same ol' song and dance.

I really want to start speaking publicly about my ordeal and how my choices affected my whole family and friends. I want to speak out about my experience as a police officer and how the domestic violence affected my career and how I was treated by the very same people who were my brothers and sisters in law enforcement.

After the meeting I finally let my self feel the anger towards the police departments and some specific people in general. I was judged unmercifally when I should of been being helped. I expect nothing more from these people anymore. They will be forgiven at somepoint, however, right now I am going to let my self be angry with them. I will work through it and be just fine!!!!!

I want to say hi to my new friends in my group and tell them I look forward to the many meetings to come and any event that we hold or go to.

Ideas are going through my head that I just want to put out there so I don't forget. Things that were brought up....

Changing the Domestic Violence month from October to another one. Excellent idea leader of our group!! :) won't mention names on here....they know who they are!

Having annual walks that are more publicized through the media and get hospitals and other organizations to get in on it! Lets raise some money for domestic violence.

I am not a person to run things, however, I am one to give a task and responsibility to and I will run with it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:41 AM

    Tracie,

    Congratulations on your new life, blog and willingness to speak out. My daughter just celebrated her second anniversary of independence from her abuser. She is doing much the same in Kansas City. This is her website: http://www.imgonnafly.org/
    I work for a Transitional Housing program for survivors, our website is : www.stepstoneks.org

    Keep up the good work and know there are people out here cheering for you.

    Pat O'Donnell

    ReplyDelete